Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sewing my heart out

The first quilt top I've done is with the Foliage line of fabric by Sentimental Studios for Moda. I bought 2 layer cakes of this fabric from Amazon (there are several places online that have it). The layer cakes have some of every fabric from the line in conveniently pre-cut squares. Here's what the layer cakes look like when opened:



I didn't have a pattern in mind when I started working on this quilt, I just wanted to practice at sewing blocks together and seeing how even I could get the seams (as it turned out, not very even).

 

I started by sewing strips of the blocks together and as each block is 10" x 10", I decided to do 8 blocks wide and 10 long to make a queen sized quilt top. I knew that 2 layer cakes was not going to be enough to make a top 90" x 100", so bought 4 yards of matching fabric by the yard to make the trim. I think I spent 3 or 4 days sewing it all together and since my seams weren't the same sizes, I ended up staggering the blocks to hide that. I think I like this look better anyway, so here's my finished top:



I am still waiting for the backing fabric to come in, otherwise I would have sent this on to the quilter already. I think I'll have a pattern of leaves quilted on top. I can hardly wait to see the finished results!

As my wrist surgery on Tuesday looms on the horizon, I am almost desperately trying to get my second quilt top done and I just realized I need another entire jelly roll to complete it. *sigh* I'll have to wait until after I've healed up enough to attempt working on the second half as there is no way in hell I'll get the new jelly roll in the mail by tomorrow and complete the second half of this quilt top. On the up side - I LOVE IT! Here's a preview of the first half of it:


(if you look at the bottom of the picture, you'll see the one strip in orange that has been sewn in at a wrong angle, I've got to fix it next otherwise it will drive me insane.)

The jelly rolls are of the Haunted Mansion line of fabric by Sanae for Moda and I bought the last two of these for sale anywhere on the internet (I found these on etsy). I'm a little surprised at how hard it was to find, but this line of fabric was from at least 2011 or maybe earlier. I remembered seeing this fabric at the stores when it was out and now that I've started quilting, I really wanted to use it to make a quilt.



To make a quilt large enough to fit on a queen sized bed, I would need  more than 2 of these jelly rolls, so I bought a plain black roll to supplement. I have a quilt top that is 59" x 99" using one roll of HM and the black one. I still have one entire roll of the HM left, so I'll use half of it and half a roll of black to give me another 30" inches of length so the quilt will be 99" x 99" and then I can add trim around the edges. There are still several places online that carry some of this fabric by the yard, so the edges will match the rest of the quilt. I can use the rest of the HM and black to make pillow shams to match.

The back fabric for it is After Dark! by Alexander Henry. It doesn't match, but I wanted an alternative fabric that I would not mind being used as a bedspread on it's own.



At some point I'll have all of the fabric to make the Night Shade quilt top (see Quilting Crash Course blog for pic). Some of these fabrics are from the Night Shade line by Tula Pink and some are from the Ghastlies fabric line by Alexander Henry. I wanted a really good selection of several coordinating fabrics and I think these all work well together. Funny that this was supposed to be the first quilt and I haven't even started it yet. For this one I intend to use a pattern and make it look like a more traditional quilt top with pinwheels and hourglasses.


No comments:

Post a Comment